Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Struggle

Well, third start in AAA and it was tough, wow, it's really much different than expected. Maybe a game or two to settle in, it's not happening. He's bummed, I am in trouble for expressing my thoughts, you know those words that you try to find for some comfort and it comes out all wrong. Not excuse stuff, just the "look at the good side" type of stuff. Oh well, I am in the doghouse. I apologized, I know it's hard to go from 8-1 to 0-3, I should have been more sensitive. That's not like me, but sometimes we as parents do mess up.

My son has the skills, he just has a hard time finding his way sometimes, it happened in college, it happened last year when he was sent back from AA to high A. Each time he took something away from each experience and worked on it, I just reminded him of that. and how hard he worked after a few times on the DL. And then I went into the "sometimes you got to hit the bottom to pick yourself back up". He wasn't buying it. Not sure if it is the uncertainty of being sent down again, but hey, that is a HUGE part of this business, happens to the big leaguers too.

Another pitcher is being called up for big league support, Brad Penny, you know one of those older guys who signed a one year contract has been hurt since he started. The pitcher going up is 27, he was sent up once but sent back down, wasn't needed. Really getting thinned out at AAA. And talk is of getting another more experienced arm. That could mean trade and all the milb players start picking it up, they want out, not because they don't like the organization, but they know there is little room at the top for some of them. Catchers know they will never replace Molina, 1B guys will never replace Pujols. And then you have startering pitchers who will remain in the organization until their arms fall off.

That's just the way it is. Tough, tough business, it's times like these you wish that your player may have chosen a different path for work. Then you realize that the day it will stop is when he decides, we are just along for the ride.

I'll shut up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment