Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Bad

I heard yesterday that one of the guys that signed a milb contract and in spring training has been really very nice to son. Sometimes it's hard to find a real friend (other than your milb teammates) who has been there several years when you get to the place you always dreamed of being (in the ML clubhouse).

Let's be honest, I am going to suppose that until you make the 25 man roster someday you are considered the enemy. This is especially difficult (I would imagine) if you don't know these guys well and this isn't like kindergarten where the teacher is going to force everyone to be friends. So some teams, take on older vets who have been there and done that, near the end of their careers but still have something to give. That something can just be helping a younger guy learn about "stuff" you need to learn about.

So my son has a few of those, one of them being Miguel Batisita.

Now last year I posted a picture of him on the HSBBW, with crown and banner saying Miss Iowa. Yeah, he is the guy who made that crazy statement. He is the player booed by his own fans because he showed up and Strasburg didn't. He made a remark, it was taken the wrong way. I made fun of him.

To be honest, I didn't even know who Batista was until that remark, it was then that I found out that he was a recipient of the Roberto Clemente Award in 2009.

I am going to assume it is part of his nature to reach out to help others. Giving back. He's done that with son, I am assuming, to help him become a better big leaguer someday, and in return my son will learn to do the same.

It's not right to make fun of others, ever. I posted that picture, I feel bad. My bad.

BTW, I told my son about Batista and he knew absolutely nothing that I was talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment