Friday, April 2, 2010

The business of baseball

No word on anymore cuts, but there still are games to be played today (intersquad). Everyone is on rotation, so I am assuming any more cuts will come after today as players are needed for games, that would be as far as pitchers, not sure about position guys. The cards traded Julio Lugo yesterday, which allows some players (prospects) in the system a chance to get into the highest level this year, instead of them being cut and allows more flexible room at the milb levels. Interesting also to watch is how they push some players up, on purpose, so that if a trade becomes necessarily they are seen at the higher level. Last year they traded some very high prospects (their number one pick from 2008 and second pick from 2007 as well as Chris Perez who I believe was a #1 pick years ago) for help needed to get through the playoffs, depleating much of the talent in the farm. You begin to see that movement about mid season, depending how the ML team is doing.

Most players know their assignment, or will go to extended, some starters are now relievers and that's better than getting cut for most. It's been pretty interesting watching them shaving down the numbers. But sometimes things happen and they happen early, Yadi is hurt, the backup now becomes the starter and now the AAA catcher becomes the backup MLB guy. So sometimes I imagine some releases to make room on milb rosters is held back.

That's a big part of the business of bseball.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Thanks for the blog. My son is also in Jupiter but with the Marlins. This is is first spring training as he was a Sr. sign last year. I enjoy reading your info on spring traing and your sons experience and compare it with what I hear from my son. You have a little more detail than he does.
    Regards,
    Gary(kjktj)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they don't give much detail, but I kind of ask my player until he rolls his eyes, most of what I post is my own info I have gathered, one source from a writer close to the team.
    I wish I had been reminded who your player was, I would have tried to find him and taken some pics.
    I hope that your son had a great spring training. I love those marlins, best of luck to him this season.

    ReplyDelete