Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Lettin' off some steam


Someone recently told me that most young players not on the 40 man roster don't enjoy AAA. I think I am beginning to understand why.


Son pitched today, he actually, in my opinion had a good game, though his lines do not indicate as such. He corrected a lot of things from the last game, he went after hitters and 60 of his 88 pitches were for strikes. That's an important stat for pitchers. Besides the park factors he was dealing with (his sinker wouldn't sink), it appeared to me (and remember this is from a parent's perspective) his team wasn't really into the game. But I hear, and I have seen in the past week that this may be the norm. I think that I understand why many teams advance players from AA straight to the major league, so for any player who is at the AA level, enjoy it and enjoy the fact that everyone is moving in the same direction, not different ones. I also understand why the best instructors are at the AA level, because in AAA it's figuring it out for yourself. That's difficult for a young player, I see a pitcher on son's team who is very young for the league struggling.


I will be the first to admit that son's 8-1 record in AA was also often a team effort. Those AA guys were doing everything they could to win the game, they too want to show their skills off so they can move forward as well. I don't see that in the AAA game. I was told that a lot has to do with not getting injured, they are the reserves, so they have to remain healthy or lose their job, I understand. But I don't get the lack of effort at bats. In other words, must be a bad day when the pitcher gets 2 doubles and brings in 2 of the 4 runs for the team. Well yes I know that no one thought the pitcher could hit, and the field is hitter friendly, but still, I didn't see much in the way of spectacular hitting for most of the game. Actually I see more effort from the game I am watching from Omaha than I did today.


I feel a lot better now. :)


The team flies back to Memphis tomorrow, tomorrow son is not allowed anymore paid room at the inn, so we'll see what the plan is.


I want to thank my friend Thor (Spizzlepop) Spangler for dropping into the game today to watch and report back. I hope that someday I can return the favor, for anyone. Baseball people (most of them) are special.
The above image is Isotope Park, home of the ABQ Isotopes (Dodgers AAA) and the University of New Mexico Lobos (D1 baseball).

No comments:

Post a Comment