Sunday, March 28, 2010

The facts

Someone posted on another website that my son signed for over 3/4M $. FWIW, anyone can get that information posted on other sites, but I can assure that it wasn't for that amount. It was a nice amount, but all I can say is that a young adult really has very little deductions, and for 2 years (the check is divided equally in two payments) he had to pay Uncle Sam mega bucks, so the remaining amount is put away for a time that he will have to return to school (if he is unable to make it) and live off of, and some money to put away for one day if he really needs it.
He's been smart and understands that he needs to hold onto whatever he has. Because of injury he has been unable to work in any off season, so you go figure it out, it's a nice cushion but by no means made him rich. A good point was made, everyone gets paid the same in milb, and everyone eats the same food, and rides the same bus, those that have some things to say have no clue as to what they are talking about, it hasn't been an easy road.

And what does it matter. This is not about one player's easy path, just some enlightment that it IS not easy, even with a cushion. That's why it's so important unless you get some really serious money (yes for some that may be different amounts) to think though it carefully after HS. I'll give you my perspective (I ask son lots of questions he hates) and you can draw your own conclusions. It's not about trying to destroy any young mans desire to follow their dream, just how it is.

FWIW, Andrew Miller, the number one pick in 2006 was just sent back down to AAA. Now talk about not easy, a trade and then an up and down ride not able to find his control. They all struggle, it's just that some get more press about it than others.

Anyway enough with that stuff, the weather has been blah, and not sure that they will get in any games tomorrow (in Port St Lucie) which could push the tuesday start until wednesday.

This is the last week of spring training, by this time next week, Jupiter will be much less hectic.

3 comments:

  1. TPM, I asked my son the other day if he were to get nothing more than a bus ticket and a bag of chips to sign this summer to follow his dream, he said simply "yes". I was taken aback by his response because I thought he would've put more thought into it. Then it hit me. How does he even know what playing and living in the Milb everyday is like? He doesn't talk with anyone ever about it so he has no knowledge.

    We talked for a short while and I was able to convince him that there needs to be a "line in the sand" financially for his own sake that he needs to say go/no go. To him, that number is less than $1M. shrugs. I guess next I need to give him the wake-up call that mom and dad most likely wont be able to fund that part of his dream! lol.

    Sorry to hear Dave is still injured...sighs.

    Ken...aka YGD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken,
    Not sure where you got D still injured??????
    You want to hear something funny, if you asked son if he would have gone pro before going to college (having both experiences), he would tell you not even for a million bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I posted yesterday about him being injured right after I read your post talking about his bursitis, pains in the underarm, etc. lol. I actually was going to go back and edit my post but I couldn't find my way back to do it...lol.

    You know how the boys can be...dreams of playing pro ball, etc. I think right now he is just hearing the "talk" from his teammates, etc. and it excites him. The one good thing about son is he does listen to Dad even if it's not what he wants to hear. I'm still his sounding board.

    ReplyDelete